NextGen-O2k: Horizon 2020 Framework Programme
- Funding: EIC-SMEInst-2018-2020 — SME instrument phase 2, Grant Agreement No. 859770, Oroboros Instruments
- Budget: € 2.35 Million
- Duration: 24 months, extended additional 5 months
- Key Dates:
- Application: 2019-01-09
- Pitch in Brussels: 2019-02-15
- Granted: 2019-03-05
- Start: 2019-06-01
- End: 2021-10-31
About the project
Oroboros – as a driving force in mitochondrial physiology – extends the analytical and diagnostic power of high-resolution respirometry by integration of NADH- and Q-redox monitoring in the NextGen-O2k. We aim at establishing the Oroboros quality control management for dissemination to our worldwide O2k-Network laboratories. This will become an effective contribution to address the acute reproducibility crisis of scientific investigation. In the spirit of Open Science and global networking, we will enable data sharing across projects and institutions in an Open Access database on mitochondrial physiology and pathology, to resolve the inflation crisis and ultimately the value-impact crisis of present academic publication. This will support key developments in mitochondrial medicine. In addition, we expand our business to algal biotechnology and ecology with the photobiology module of the NextGen-O2k, widening our focus from medicine to environment and climate. – a partner in the Oroboros Ecosystem
- From the O2k to the NextGen-O2k
- Between 1992 and 1994, Oroboros Instruments released its core technology for high-resolution respirometry (HRR), the Oxygraph-2k or O2k, for real-time monitoring of oxygen consumption of mitochondria, tissues, and living cells. Dissolved oxygen is measured using high-resolution polarographic oxygen sensors. Its main advantages are the unique signal stability and resolution of oxygen. HRR is the core technology present in every single of the devices and it will remain the basis of the NextGen-O2k.
- In 2012, the updated version of the O2k was launched, the O2k-FluoRespirometer. The integrated Smart Fluo-Sensors combine fluorescence excitation and detection of defined wavelengths that in combination with fluorophores allow for the measurement of additional mitochondrial parameters, such as membrane potential, H2O2 production, calcium concentration, and ATP production.
- The unique software DatLab has been developed for data acquisition and analysis. DatLab allows the researcher to perform calibrations (including automatic barometric and temperature adjustments), background correction, experimental SUIT (substrate-uncoupler-inhibitor-titration) protocols and data analysis.
- With the O2k core technology, developed exclusively by Oroboros for high-resolution measurement of oxygen flux, the NextGen-O2k was developed.
High-resolution respirometry (HRR) and unique combinations of the O2k with
- Extend high-resolution respirometry (HRR) to the all-in-one device
The NextGen-O2k is a MultiSensor all-in-one instrument for in-depth studies of (1) the mitochondrial role in human diseases, and (2) mitochondria and chloroplasts ability in regulating algal growth and metabolite production rates.
- (+1) Detection of the redox state of the Q-junction
- (+2) Controlled wavelengths and light intensity: PhotoBiology-Module
- Save on experimental time, reagents and samples
- Minimize errors and ensure reproducible and accurate results
- Highest oxygen sensitivity (5 nM detection limit)
- Exceptional resolution (wide oxygen concentration range, between 0 – 1000 μM)
- Robustness (>10 years lifespan)